When I was little I had two favourite dishes – cod (or to be honest any white fish) potatoes, melted butter and chopped hard boiled eggs. I read the other day that Cod is back which is nice to here, also the fact that trying to save an endangered fish seems to work. The other was chicken (or I believe we had hen…) rice and curry sauce – I may have to resurrect this one too. Now I swap the potato for cauliflower and it is equally delicious, unfortunately the lack of summer and sun here in Sweden makes this a good dinner choice.
Cod, Cauliflower, Hardboiled eggs and melted butter – Feeds 4 (30 min)
Boil the kettle so you have boiling water – it makes this faster. Also put the oven on at 175 degrees C. Do all of the above straight after on another, then it should be ready all together.
1. Steam the cauliflower in florets for 15 minutes or until soft with a bite – during this –
2. Hard boil 4 eggs – about 8 min from boiling.
3. Place 25 grams of butter in an oven proof dish, pour over 3 dl of boiling water so butter melts and add some herb salt. Place the fish on top and place in the oven for about 15 min or just when it starts turning white.
4. Drain and chop the cauliflower into smaller pieces into an oven proof dish, place a little butter (25 grams ish) in lumps scattered on top. Some pepper and herb salt cover in foil and put at the bottom of the oven to keep warm.
5. I served it with some steamed broccoli, some spinach or peas is also good. I just think it needs something green or it is too white and looks a bit yuk. Put the broccoli on to steam.
6. On the residual heat of the broccoli place about 50 grams of butter in to melt.
Tale everything out of oven and off heat and serve – cauliflower, then fish, some chopped egg and some melted butter with broccoli on the side. Needs salt and pepper!