Yesterday was midsummer celebrations here in Sweden, the basics as I see them are:
- Dress the midsummer pole (like a maypole)
- Dans round it – pretend to be a frog and highlight the fact that frogs do not have ears or tails… logical I know.
- The rocket – clap hands pretending to be a fire work, another classic and there is no risk of blowing off a finger so EXTREMELY health and safety friendly.
- Eat herring, drink snaps and beer.
- Have strawberries and cream as a cake or on their own.
I did all of the above and then I lured into helping my mum clear out her wardrobe… she did have some real design classics.
I think I look rather wonderful!
Hence today I figured we needed something tasty today to be build our strength before we carry – the large bags of clothing that had to go to the charity shop. Fish pie has always been one of my favourites. You can substitute for dairy free cream and milk alternatives and skip the cheese, but it is now quite as good…
Cauliflower Fish pie (serves 4-6) Oven 180 degrees C – takes 45 min
- 500 grams of white fish of your choice
- 200 grams peeled prawns
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 75 grams butter (approximately)
- 1 tsp of buillion
- one small onion (finely chopped)
- spinach and or peas
- 1 carrot (finely chopped)
- 5 hard boiled eggs
- 250 ml of cream
- 100 ml full fat milk
- 2-4 tbsp of grated horseradish depending on taste
- 1 tbsp of dijon mustard
- 50 grams butter
- salt and pepper
- 100 grams grated cheddar
- Boil/Steam the cauliflower until soft – put aside
- Hard boil 5 eggs
- Put the oven on
- Use the same pan as you cooked the cauliflower and add the fish (no prawns at this stage) – cover in some boiling water and a good knob of butter and the buillion powder. Simmer for 3-5 min – the fish will go in the oven later so just needs to be started off in this way. Drain and set aside.
- Soften the onion and carrot in a little butter – add the cream, and the milk and thicken for a few minutes on a low simmer. Add the mustard, the horseradish and the salt and pepper (I think it needs a tsp of each but be careful with the alt better to have some sea salt to add later)
- With a hand blender mix the cauliflower into a mash. Add about 25-50 grams of butter, as well as salt and pepper.
- Butter an oven proof dish (about 30cm x 20 cm) then add the fish in chunks, prawns, quartered eggs, 2 dl of frozen peas scattered across, 2 handfuls of spinach, the creamy/milky mixture.
- Put the mash on top.
- Place the grated cheddar on top.
- Place in the oven for around 25 minutes, until golden and bubbling. Serve it with cooked greens of your choice.
This is very satisfying food and great if you have overindulged yesterday whilst pretending to be a fire work…