Finally it is summer here in Sweden and I am about to go on my holidays. I realised I hadn’t mentioned here on my blog that I currently have a course on Daily Bits Of called A Gluten free way of eating. Here I was asked to share some of my key learnings and why I am so passionate about my new way of eating, hence I thought I would share it here too and give you my easy to have at home frozen ingredient smoothie recipe.
I started cutting out gluten and refined sugar nearly two years ago and albeit I still slip into eating rubbish something overall I have actually changed the way I eat. I freeze the oddest of things and therefore ensure I waste a lot less food – ripe bananas and avocados go into the freezer for a on the run (in my busy life not a run from the police I promise) smoothie; a great snack. My course is all about snacks – I realized that with various ways of eating such as LCHF and Paleo there tends to be a lot of food ideas available and in my mind eating home made meals that are healthy and tasty is fairly simple – vegetables and salads with fish, meat or more vegetables can often be easy and tasty – especially now that BBQ season is upon us. But it is on the go snacks and easy fixes when you are starved (or bored) that is difficult – I am hoping my course helps people prepare for those dips. Some key tips from my course are:
- Be prepared! If you have good things in the fridge or freezer then it is at least possible to make a good choice.
- Don’t buy rubbish and say it is just for the kids – I eat all my childrens leftover sweets if they are there – they don’t need them either, and if like us you give your children Saturday sweets let them buy a few and eat them straight away.
- Be kind to yourself – changing the way you eat for the long term is a LONG process hence when you go to a friends house and eat a whole tube of Pringles, get over it and forget about it. There are worst things that could happen J.
Lastly have fun and experiment – if you want more tips about more snacks, food and general rambling about what goes on inside my head please go to www.lifeofmilne.com. Also if you want hands on advice about changing the way you eat book a one to one session (Johanna@lifeofmilne.com) and we can give the inside of your kitchen cupboards and new dusting of quinoa and buckwheat flour – unlike fairy dust this works if you want to feel better.
Albeit I am very much an 80:20 rules girl – I eat well 80% of the time and don’t worry about the other 20% I always look forward to holidays because then I can cook and eat well consistently and feel good too!
As an easy summer fix and a use of all the stuff you can freeze, here is the smoothie recipe which I had to hand writing this post.
- Half a frozen banana
- Half a frozen avocado
- 2-4 cubes of frozen spinach (depending on how green you are feeling)
- 1-2 handfuls of frozen raspberries (again use less if you are feeling braver)
- 2 tsp of spirulina
- Water to get it to the right consistency
Blitz and drink – if you don’t have an industrial blender you may have to let the avocado half defrost for a few minutes… Enjoy and have a wonderful summer.